Over the past 9 months, I've seen Dakota discover her surroundings, and learn some pretty amazing things. I can't help but compare some of the "Milestones" that Dakota has accomplished, to my walk of faith with God.
For example...Dakota's very first word spoken was "Mama". Of course I was thrilled when I heard her speak my new name. Soon after, she began to say "Dada" as well. Then it got to a point where the only word she would say was "Dada"! Everything she picked up was "Dada" this and "Dada" that. Then I started noticing that the only time she would say "Mama" was when she was crying because she was tired, upset, mad, etc. I started really thinking about this scenario. The comparison is....God must be thrilled when we learn to call on his name (Like Dakota saying "Mama"), and praise him. We acknowledge the fact that he's our provider, and everything to us...until we learn of other things. Then the other things in our lives seem to take over, and it's all we think and talk about (Like when Dakota kept saying Dada about everything). And unfortunately, it's when we fall flat on our faces because we have no other options that we call out to God again. I know how frustrating it is to me, to be Dakota's main caretaker, and still be her last option to call upon when she needs something. I want to be excited about God, and proclaim his name daily in everything I do, instead of just calling on him when I need something.
Another milestone that is teaching me something is walking. Dakota is just getting good at standing by herself. The first step was pulling herself up, and learning to balance while holding onto an object. Then she started really getting bold, and letting go for a few seconds to see if she could balance on her own. She hasn't started walking yet..but I know it'll be our next venture in a couple of weeks. The only time she will really move her feet, is when I'm holding her hands and walking with her. I'll even try to put my hands next to her, reassuring her that I'll catch her if she falls, but she won't move her feet unless she can really feel me holding her hands. Also, When she is standing on her own, she doesn't have the confidence to take the first step, because she's afraid of falling down. This really makes me think of certain situations where I got excited about God's plans for me..but when he asked me to take a step out in my faith...I got really nervous. I wanted to know that God was holding my hand the whole time. Sometimes I think God gives us the reassurance that he's there, but we want to FEEL him. But that's where our faith has to come in, to take that step of faith.
God is really teaching me alot through being a Mom :) It's pretty incredible. I've grown in my relationship with the Lord, and I really look forward to the new lessons he has for me, in raising Dakota.
No comments:
Post a Comment