Thursday, June 17, 2010

I miss you Pop-paw

I've always been really close to my Grandparents. My whole life, I can't remember a time when they weren't there. My Sisters, Brothers and I would spend the night, sometimes even a week over there with them. Mom-maw taught me how to sew and cook, and when I wasn't learning something with her...I was with Pop-paw. I was his little helper. He would be back in his barn, workin' on a tractor, or taking apart a washing machine to fix it...and I would be right next to him, holding his tools for him, and helping any way I could. I remember getting my pajamas on at night, brushing my teeth, and instead of going into the spare bedroom to go to sleep...I would sneak into his room and stay up for hours talking on his CB radio with him. He was the spoiler. He would always share his candy, and moonpies with me :) *sigh* I really miss my Pop-paw. I can't believe he's been gone for over a year.
The past couple of days, I've spent at my Grandparent's house. Mom-maw is trying to get rid of some of Pop-paw's old things, and extra clutter around the house. She's having a garage sale next month, and I've been helping her prepare for it. I must say, I love being over there. I have so many memories in that house...more than I can count. Something as simple as the stairs squeaking reminds me of when I was a kid, sitting in the kitchen with Mom-maw...and hearing Pop-paw walk down the stairs in the morning.
As Mom-maw and I were going through one of the bedrooms, we found Pop-paw's bible. She let me keep it. I can't tell you just how special it is to me that I get to have his bible. He was a strong Christian, and a God fearing man. I can remember the times that he would tell me about all the people that he led to the Lord...and he would quote verses to me. As I look through his bible, almost every single page has his notes in it, which meant he read it alot. There's a quote that says "A Bible that's falling apart, usually belongs to someone who isn't." This is so true about my Pop-paw...and I feel honored to be able to have his bible, that is falling apart.

I found this song (given it's by Miley Cyrus :-/) that describes how much I miss him.
R.I.P. Pop-paw. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment